Monday, September 27, 2004

BBB, my ass

I copied this complaint to the better business bureau months ago...only to discover that they do not handle landlord/tenant disputes...go fig.

February 18, 2004

Cal American Corporation
2029 Century Park East #1550
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067

Dear Cal American,

The purpose of this letter is to register a formal complaint in regards to your Peppertree Place Apartments in Riverside, CA. I will also be submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have never experienced such a negative experience with a service provider until now. The office is very insufficient and disorganized, and, despite my many attempts for resolution, I have yet to hear back from any of the leasing agents working there. I am writing to make your company aware of this ordeal because these individuals have created a tremendous burden for me, especially since I am a full-time student working two jobs. So that you may become familiar with the situation, I will begin with the events occurring in December 2003.
On the night of December 19, 2003, my apartment was broken into and my car was stolen. I also had my license plates stolen only a few days prior. All of these aforementioned events took place at my assigned parking place within the apartment complex, and I also have police reports for the incidents. On December 20th, when I realized what had happened I filed a police report and then I called the leasing office. I was told that none of the managers were in and that I should call back the next morning. I was also told that my locks would not be able to be changed for several days. I am a single woman living alone and I did not feel that this was an adequate solution, since the security of my residence had been compromised. This is due to the fact that all of my keys were stolen as well. Therefore, I did not have access to the complex, my apartment, or my mailbox, but someone else did. I then called a friend who immediately came over. We decided that I would move in with his family for a few days until my locks could be changed. I do not own many items, so we were able to take everything of importance to me in just one trip. I knew that once I locked my door, I would not be able to return until either one of the agents let me in or after the locks had been changed. I left the residence on December 20, 2003 and have not been able to return.
At this point, I was merely disturbed by the violations I had experienced and I was dealing with the insurance matters regarding my stolen car. I was completely taken by surprise with the attitude I encountered upon calling the leasing office and explaining my situation. Just as I was instructed to do, I began calling on the morning of December 21st until I was able to reach a leasing agent. I explained exactly what had happened and I made them aware that someone else possessed keys to the apartment. I also let them know that I would need someone to let me back in for some more of my belongings. Once they discovered that I had moved the majority of my personal items out of the apartment, I was told that I was in violation for not letting them know prior. This made no sense to me, as I had paid my December rent on time (as I always did) and I should have been allowed back in. It was not my intention for them to think that I had moved out, as I explained I only moved items of value because the security of the apartment had been compromised. I became frustrated because I did not understand why it even mattered if I removed some of my belongings. I then told the leasing agent that I wanted to give my thirty days notice and just move out. I was then told that I would not be receiving my deposit back since I had "moved out". She kept insisting that I tell her that I was "out" of the residence. I finally said I was and then I asked if they would at least grant me access to my mailbox so that I could retrieve the last of my mail. I was told that I would have to take that up with the post office. I finally asked what else I needed to do to resolve this matter, because at this point I was willing to forfeit the rest of my belongings to avoid any extravagant ordeals. Especially at this time when I was already dealing with the other events. I was told, "Nothing, you're done". I questioned this, as I was in disbelief about what had just taken place. Again, I was told, "you don't need to do anything else. You're done." I again let them know that I did not have keys to the apartment and someone else did. To this, they let me know that the locks would be changed immediately. I said "fine" and just hung up. I was so surprised by what had just happened because I had never been a problem resident and had always paid my rent on time or early for the past two and a half years that I lived there. They even accused me of still having keys in my possession since I was able to move out. I once again explained that I am a college student working two jobs and that I did not own many items. One trip was enough to remove everything of value.
By January 3rd, I was able to move into my new residence. My new apartment complex said that they had to call Peppertree several times to have questions answered, and yet they still were not sure of what they were being told. They let me know that the office seemed very disorganized. At first, Peppertree did not recognize me as being a former tenant and then the agents could not explain the situation that lead to me moving out. It is also relevant to note that I moved to a small 48-unit complex and the owners would not have taken a chance on me if they thought that I would prove to be a problem resident. The new complex even suggested taking legal action against Peppertree because they were essentially "stealing" the last ten days of my December rent from me. I opted against this though, as I was too preoccupied dealing with my stolen car among other things and I thought that the Peppertree issue was behind me.
In January, I received a water & trash bill for my previous Peppertree apartment. Upon receiving this, I called the company, USI West, and was told that the property never contacted them to let them know that I had moved out. They told me that I would continue to receive the invoices until Peppertree contacted them. After this, I called Peppertree to inquire about this issue. When I called, they tried to tell me that I never moved out and that I was late on my rent! I said that there had to be a mistake and asked if they did not remember speaking with me in December about my situation. I was told that they remembered and that I was violating my lease. I was completely confused at this point, as I thought I was "done" according to the conversation a month earlier. I was told that I needed to submit a written thirty days notice, even though they had verbally accepted the one I had given on the phone in December. This was on January 29th, and just to expedite a resolution to this situation I submitted a notice that same afternoon. I requested that they let me know what else needed to be done, but I never heard back from them. On Tuesday, February 10th, I called to find out why I had not heard from anyone and I asked again what I should do. I was told that I owed a balance and that someone would call me back that same afternoon to let me know how much it was. I have still not received anything further from the leasing office.
In hindsight, I should have had the police accompany me to the premises back in December. However, I honestly thought that the ordeal was over and I would just lose a few of my belongings. It was never my intention for this to evolve as so. I honestly believed they were telling the truth when they told me that I "was done". I am a very honest and hard-working individual. It is completely inaccurate to believe that any of these events are within my character. I had nothing to gain from this situation; I was even expecting to lose the rest of my personal belongings. If I had known that the situation was progressively worsening, I would have taken care of it. Again, my only mistake has been in trusting these individuals.
It is not my intention to get anyone into trouble over this issue, but I think it is important for you to be aware of the level at which this establishment is operating. The individuals have been very unprofessional in each interaction with me, even resorting to calling me a liar during telephone conversations. I understand that they are trying to keep their employment, but it does no good to take out their frustrations on me. I am willing to accept that this was possibly the result of a misunderstanding, as I would never let this happen if I had known. I am also concerned because I do not know how to resolve this issue, as I am receiving no response from the office. The office has also told me that legal action has been pursued. I feel that these steps are unnecessarily harsh, as they honestly knew that I had moved out. Furthermore, they severely took advantage of the situation.
I would like to thank you for this opportunity to express my concerns and I hope that my feedback will assist you in acquiring and better training employees. This office is a direct representation of your company and it is not presenting a positive image. Customer service and service recovery are two topics that deserve more attention. I understand that agents in this industry are forced to deal with many personalities, but despite this fact they should still possess the ability to approach each consumer as a unique individual. I have been truly inconvenienced and wish to achieve an efficient resolution as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact me for further information or to offer advice for reaching a conclusion.


Sincerely,


cc: Better Business Bureau, Riverside County, CA

1 Comments:

Blogger skittles said...

very crappy to the power of infinity...still. Apt claimed i had to be evicted and posted it to my credit. I was able to end up only having to pay what i would have owed if i had given 30 days, etc. only problem is it takes a looooooong time to clear from your credit report, even though it is false information. THIS has caused me to be denied for all student loans, etc...
The worst is over, though. and good riddance...

October 25, 2004 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home